Meet the Team
Proud recipient of the 2010 Hans Burgers Award for Outstanding Contribution to Healthcare Engineering
Gordon D. Burrill, P.Eng., FASHE, CCHFM, CHC, CHFM, President
Gordon graduated from the University of New Brunswick in 1986 with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering (B.Sc.Eng.) degree. He started his career as a design engineer from 1986-1998. During this time he was involved in construction projects ranging from small office buildings to pulp and paper mills through Atlantic Canada and the Northeastern United States. Many of these projects were hospital construction and renovation projects in his home province of New Brunswick. From 1998-2005, Gordon served as the Director of the Engineering for a New Brunswick Health Authority overseeing design, construction, maintenance and operations of the buildings and equipment for this multi-facility health organization.
He is a Registered Professional Engineer with 30 years experience in the design, construction, maintenance, and operations of healthcare facilities. Among his accomplishments are:
- The first Canadian to hold the designation of Certified Healthcare Constructor
- National President of the Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society from 2003-2005.
- Vice Chair of the CSA Technical Committee for Health Care Facility Engineering and Physical Plant.
- Chair of the CSA Technical Sub-Committee for Infection Control during Construction or Renovations of Health Care Facilities
- Vice Chair of the CSA Technical Sub-Committee for the Guidelines for Design and Construction of Canadian Health Care Facilities
- An active member on a number of other CSA committees including those for special requirements for construction, design and maintenance of health care facilities.
- A member of the CSA Learning Centre faculty providing codes and standards training to healthcare facilities managers and engineers.
- A member of the ASHE Healthcare Construction Certificate Program faculty providing construction training throughout the United States of America and Canada
- A member of the ASHE Infection Control -- Managing Risk faculty providing construction, operation and maintenance training throughout the United States of America
- Achieved the Fellow designation from the American Society for Healthcare Engineering
- Served on ASHE's leadership team and committees since 2002
- A member of the National Fire Protection Association's Health Care Section
- A member of the NFPA Technical Correlating Committee and two Technical Committees for the standard NFPA 99 -- Health Care Facilities
- A Council Member of the International Federation for Hospital Engineers 2003-2005
- A member of the Editorial Advisory Council for Business Briefing -- Hospital Engineering & Facilities Management 2005 Publication
- A member of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering
He has trained healthcare facilities management and construction personnel from Coast to Coast in Canada and the United States and has been a technical speaker at several National and International events. Among them are:
- International Conference and Exhibition for Health Care Facility Planning, Design and Construction (Orlando, FL -- Mar 2004, San Diego, CA -- Feb 2006, San Antonio, TX -- Feb 2007 & Orlando, FL -- Mar 2007)
- Annual National Trade Show and Education Forum for the Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society (Hamilton, ON -- Sept 2003, Richmond, BC -- Sept 2004, Toronto -- Sept 2008)
- Construct Canada and the PM Expo (Toronto, ON -- Dec 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007)
- Ontario Hospital Association's Health Achieve (Toronto, ON -- Oct 2005)
- Canadian College of Health Service Accreditation (Ottawa, ON -- Aug, 2004)
- Atlantic Conference of the Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society (Fredericton, NB - May 2006)
- Annual Conference & Technical Exhibition of the American Society for Healthcare Engineering of the American Hospital Association (New Orleans, LA -- July 2007)
- Canadian Standards Association and the Ontario Safety Association's Healthcare Safety Forum (Toronto, ON -- March 2006 & 2007)
- Provincial Infection Control Network of British Columbia (Richmond, BC -
- Community and Hospital Infection control Association (CHICA) National Education conference (Edmonton, AB -- June 2007)